Thursday, March 27, 2008

The camcorder had to go back...

Boo hoo. The camcorder had to go back. I'd go so excited by finding a 3CCD camera at such a low price, that I forgot to check one vital feature - was it possible to get live DV streamed from the camcorder to my laptop. With most of the similar models of panasonic DVD camcorder it is possible. With the one I bought it wasn't. It had to go back to the shop, so I'm still using my cheap and cheerful chinese webcam for the forseeable future.

I'm still on the look out for a 3CCD panasonic camcorder, but I'm going to go with miniDV format because apparently the picture is better, although this might be down to the compression used for the recording format, which I don't think matters if you are using it to transfer live DV. The other advantage is that most of them have a webcam function (live DV out). Problem is, good 3CCD miniDV panasonic camcorders are pretty expensive (by my standards), even secondhand. I am going to be saving up for some time.

No comments: